Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'm baaackkkkk

January, the last time I blogged seems like such a long time ago.  How time flies when you are having so much fun...yardwork, housework, clearing all the dead plants and junk off the patio.  Those are the fun things I have been doing.  I have not touched my sewing machine since March when I made a swirly strata table topper.  It was fun to make and I plan on making a patriotic and Halloween one at some point.

Jen and her family has been visiting us and I am teaching Kallie how to make a quilt.  We picked out fabrics at home to match some 5 inch squares that I have bought for her.  She has been learning the term "rippit".  She has gotten quite proficient with the seam ripper.  I could win a ripping contest for sure because I am the champion.  It seems I never have to "not" rip out seams when I am sewing.  I have helped rip some of her seams and I have done her pressing and matching up rows.  It would have been easier if she had just sewed all the squares random but it was my bright idea to lay them out in a pattern so that has been fun...keeping all the rows in order when we have ripped.  Ripping is just part of quilting so I figured she needed to learn that along with the sewing and matching seams.  She is about half way through with the rows.  Hopefully, we can work on it a lot tomorrow so she can at least get the top finished and then I will quilt it for her.  Jen can help with the binding when I get it quilted.

Kallie, Jen and I went to the Tuesday Technique sewing demo today.  The lady who taught the swirl strata table topper was there and showed a Christmas tree skirt using the same type technique.  Maxine showed a prairie point ornament that was really cute.  I have seen them before and made a pine cone ornament similar several years ago.  The Christmas skirt which could also be a table topper was really pretty and I am going to have Lisa bring my ruler when they come.  I love the quilt that was  shown last week.  Here is a u-tube video that shows my next quilt.  I picked the fabrics from my stash.  Hopefully, I will get the piecing completed next month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sII20q7IrtQ

Maxine the owner of the shop is such a sweet and helpful person.  I am sure it is a lot of work to come up with something to demonstrate each week.  I enjoyed seeing several friends that I have not seen in a couple of months.  We all went to lunch at the Gazebo after the demo.

Bill and Brad have been weed whacking the yard.  We have a whole yard full of thorny blackberries.  Most have not turned black.  When you look out, all you see is red berries.  They whacked a lot of them.  I went down and picked some for Cooper and Kallie yesterday.  Kallie did not care for them but my little berry boy loved them.  He had them again in his yogurt tonight.  I wish they were not so thorny and I would pick a bunch to make a cobbler.  Maybe when more ripen closer to the outside edge, I can get enough.  They are good to me.

I guess I have to be in the mood to blog so maybe I will try to be in the mood more...until we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment