Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hot weather is making me so lazy....

Gees, it is hot outside.  It must be 100+ out there today.  It feels like Las Vegas.  If you have never been to Las Vegas in the summer, then let me explain what it feels like when you walk out side.  Turn your oven to about 400 degrees, wait 10 minutes and then stick your head in...only for about 2 minutes because that is about as long as you can stay outside.  The humidity is so different here and in your oven, that you don't really "sweat"...you just get red faced and hot feeling.  At least my hair is not sopping wet like at home.  Ok, I have whined enough.

We went into town today to buy a ruler that I had left at home.  After that, we decided to look around one of the thrift shops.  I found a very old piece that is appliqued.  It is most amazing because it is only about 10" big.  I could not believe how much work someone put into this little piece of circular fabric.  Some of the applique pieces are only about 1/4 inch big.  There are over 300 pieces appliqued on the circle...and they did not even have good drugs back then.  The piece also has embroidery through out it.  The person must have had the patience of Jobe plus some.  I am going to wash it in some quilt soak and maybe have it framed.  I cannot imagine sewing this small.  The first picture is a full on picture and the second is a close up of the center.  It has one little place where it is coming apart...other than that, it is in very good condition.



The family member who donated it must have no idea of the time and effort put into this little baby.  For the most part, you must look hard to see the stitches.  The applique is very good quality.  I am excited about this little treasure.  Just had to share while it was on my mind.  Until we meet again....

No comments:

Post a Comment