Sunday, July 8, 2012

When life gives you scraps...or Confetti

When life gives you scraps, make a quilt and you can call it confetti.  I have finally finished my scrappy 15 minutes of play quilt.  It is one of the most fun quilts I have made because it was totally mindless.  I have not made the label yet because I haven't decided on the name of the quilt.  It so looks like a bunch of confetti.  I got the idea from "15 minutes of play" blog.  I have always thought of the quilt as the old saying "when life gives you scraps".  I love the quilting that Butler Country Crafts did for me on it.  Jeanne always does a wonderful job and she is reasonable and the turnaround is pretty quick.  I always recommend her to my quilting friends and relatives.


In some ways, I feel it is so representative of what life gives you many times through out your life...scraps.  However, it is so how we handle the scraps as to the outcome of our situations.  The outcome can be bright happy confetti or maybe just trash or lots of pieces of ugly fabric.  I chose to make something I truly love and that is this scrappy quilt.  The top has been done for quite awhile and I just added the binding this week...finally.  The best part is the top was made totally from scraps from other projects.  Some people do throw these scraps away.  The frugal part of me just has to keep them.  Any thing smaller than an inch goes to a lady in our guild that makes dog beds for the humane society and for dogs who are trained to work with blind or handicapped people.  This makes every piece of my fabrics used and not going to the landfill.  So this type of work is very GREEN.  Here is a close up of the quilting.  I hope it is big enough for you to see the pattern of spools and needles and thread.



It has been a busy week.  My friend, Evie and I have pulled our polka dot quilts out of the UFO pile and we have almost all of the center piecing completed.  Each block has 148 pieces sewn together in the block and there are 9 blocks.  Then the borders and the original pattern calls for applique in the borders.  The quilt could have as many as 1500 pieces if you do all the applique the pattern indicates.  I have not decided if I will follow the pattern or change the pattern for the borders..I would like to finish it in this lifetime.  Hopefully, we will get the squares completed tomorrow.  Pictures when I start sewing the pieces to squares.

On Tuesday, I went to "Tuesday Techniques" at A stitch in Time quilt store. Maxine, owner of the shop,  always shows a cute project or a usable technique.  I had lunch with some of my Florida friends and then ran to grocery store to pick up some things we needed.

On Wed, I spent the day with my friend, Elva.  I helped her do an embroidered label and she helped me cut some fabrics.  The day got away from us and it was nearly 5 when I left.  Happy July 4th.

I putzed around in the thrift stores with three old friends and three new friends on Thur.  We were all able to find bargains.  Mine was an apple peeler slicer for $.50, 5 yards of quilt store fabric for $5.00.  Wasn't a bad day and spent less than $20 including lunch.

Friday, I picked up here in the house, ran the dust mop and washed 4 loads of clothes.  Cannot remember what else, but that was enough.

Saturday, we went to the craft show and two quilt stores over in Maggie Valley.  It was hot and I was drained and tired when we got home.

Today, I have not hit a lick at a snake for the majority of the day.  Being outside worked up my allergies even though the pollen count was not very high, my head was ugly this morning...whine whine whine.  It has been a good week and I always feel good with a project is complete.  Until we meet again....

No comments:

Post a Comment