Sunday, July 15, 2012

My new stove...whoopeeeeee

I know it might seem odd to be so excited about a new stove but I am.  It isn't even a top of the line.  It is self cleaning.  Let me explain.  When we bought this place, there was an old stove in here that was majorly disgusting.  The grease was thick and the whole thing could be described as just "yuck".  We had gone way over budget within the first 2-3 weeks in the remodeling so Bill told me to live with this stove.

It took me about 2 days to clean it where I could stand to turn that ugly baby on to even think about cooking.  Well, I could have lived with it till it died if it had not been for those crooked burners.  They were bad.  This ole stove never new the meaning of level.  Don't know if you realize this but when you have a pan sitting on a crooked burner nothing cooks like it should.  One side burns because all the juices run to the other side.  If it is a big pan, only part of the pan sits on the burner and the other half of the pan is sort of on the burner and stove.  I fussed constantly and absolutely hated to cook anything on it.  Well, 2 weeks ago, we went to Lowe's and ordered a new stove and they delivered it Saturday morning.  It is just a plain ole flat top stove.  I did insist on self cleaning and the flat top.  Nothing else is fancy but guess what?  I can put a pan on it and it is level and cooks evenly.  The oven light works and the bottom is not all rusty and the glass in the door is not all yuckey.  It is beautiful.  Well that is my big news today.

Evie and I cut fabric for the outside edges (corners) of the polka dot quilt yesterday after the stove was delivered.  So now to just sew up all those squares...only 9 but so many little pieces.  I have the first block done and I hate the white corner.  Don't know if I will take it off and replace it or not.  Just don't like it.  Here are pictures of the first square.  I don't like the white with brown and pink dots.  I was limited to the fabrics that I brought with me for the corner pieces.  I bought a few more pieces and Lisa brought me some additional dotted fabric for the borders.  Each square will be a different color in the corners, pink, green, yellow, orange, red, blue, teal, purple and maybe white.  Have not decided on the white yet.



I hung our hummingbird feeders out yesterday and within 30 minutes, a little bird was getting a refreshing drink.  They are wonderful to just watch them flutter around the feeders.  There seems to be a couple of birds that are very tiny.  I think they are babies.

Jason and Lisa and the kids arrived today.  It was good to see them all.  I do miss them when we are here.  Austin and Emily got their bug catchers out of the basement and headed out to catch bugs.  Yes, they have to bring them in to show the catches...yuck.  We saw bats right at dusk and of course there were lots of lightning bugs that the kids were trying to catch.

Lisa and I are going to "shop hop" tomorrow to Asheville area.  We shall see how it goes.  Until we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment