Saturday, April 2, 2011

Windy days, garage sales and funky mirrors

We got up today and decided we would go to a big garage sale at the community center across from Whistle Stop.  People could just rent a table and load it with their treasures.  It was very crowded and full of junk.  The sale benefited the "Senior Games".  I bought some strawberry jelly that a lady had made for her husband and he passed away several months ago and she said no way she could eat all the jelly.  Wish I had her recipe because it is scrumptious.  I am making whipped cream biscuits in the morning so we can eat the jelly. It is so good, if the biscuits fail, I will just eat it with a spoon.

Bill and I just wondered through looking at everyone's treasures.  He found several books to buy and I found a treasure I just love.  When I describe it, don't shake your head and think I am nuts.  It is very funky and perfect for over the mantel.  It is a mirror in a gold frame that has beads of a sort, all sizes of buttons, shells, pennies and I don't know what else glued all around the frame.  Then it has cording around where the frame connects to the mirror.  It also has two little tassels hanging down from the bottom.  Now I know that it sounds like the tackiest thing you have ever heard about.  It is wonderful.  Bill doesn't think he likes it very much but then again we know how conservative he is about anything out of the ordinary.

We brought it home and set it on the mantle.  I absolutely loved it.  He again stated he thought it was ugly.  It is not ugly...different maybe but certainly not ugly.  When I was carrying it out of the sale, 4-5 women stopped me to tell me they loved the mirror.  They had good taste I am sure...or maybe just loved the unusual.  It did not look right just sitting on the mantle so I had him hang it about 10" up from the mantle.  I have been looking for something to fill the void over the mantle.  It is a very tall space and needed something badly.  I still have room to hang a quilt If I want to way up high.  I took a picture and when I download it, I might post it.  It cost me a whole $6.00 and I think it is one of the best treasures I have ever come across.  It suits our little cottage style to a T.  I might be nuts but I would never cross that fine line into "tacky"...gaudy yes, but never tacky or ugly!!

I also bought a wonderful plant stand for $8.00.  It is iron and holds a pot perfectly.  I think I might paint it black if the wind will ever quit blowing.  It was a great day for junk and jelly!  Today the wind gusts had to be 40-50 miles per hour.  I was upstairs and the trees were bending waaaaaaaaaay far over.  The noise sounded like a hurricane.  Yes, when I went out side my hair was standing on end and I had so much electricity that I had to slick it down with my hand and slide my hand all the way down to my bottom before I could take it away from my body.  The hair just popped right back out.  I looked like I had been scared really bad or stuck my finger in a socket.

I bought a beautiful violet when I first got up here and it is huge.  It has got to be at least 12" across and maybe even 15".  I hope I can get it home without breaking the leaves.  One of them broke off and I am trying to root it.  Yes, I know I need another violet like I need a hole in the head.  It is much darker than the picture shows.  It is a dark royal purple with a very pale green edging on the blooms.  Got to work on those picture taking skills.


I replanted my little seedlings a couple of days ago.  They are still quite small, but they have grown in two days.  I intend to bring them with me when we go south.  I think this is the basil.  I thought it was cucumbers based on the seed that was on top of the leaves.  It might be basil.  The front two pots and one in the back have a different plant in them... might be tomatoes.  I have some more that will be ready to re-pot Monday or Tuesday.  I planted tomato, bell pepper, cucumber and basil seeds.  Got the trays mixed up so I don't know what is what...guess if it continues to grow the mystery will be solved.  Bill will stroke when he sees how many plants we have to haul home.  Hope we have room for all his guns and stuff. :)


I am going to Sharon's on Monday and I am taking a new recipe.  If it is good, we will eat it and I will share the recipe...if not, I guess we can feed it to the birds.  Until we meet again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment