Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trees, ivy and 15 minutes

We had a tree taken up today and boy did it make me a bit nervous.  But they got it out with out tearing down the power and telephone lines.  We have one more to come out, but tree guys have to wait for the snow to melt.  The tree is covered in ivy and that ole ivy will just not die.  Bill has cut the ivy, sprayed roundup on it and tried to pull it off the tree....that ole' stuff just keeps on growing.  It has never even wilted in the snow.  Wish the ones I have tried to pot would be that resilient.  The tree is dying from being smothered.  It is only about 10 feet from the house.  Best to get it down before it dies all the way.

Tonight, I played for much longer than 15 minutes.  I decided to sew bigger blocks.  I made two 12.5 inch blocks.  I then decided the scraps I have here were too disorganized and getting on my nerves.  Everytime I grabbed one out to stitch, a few more fell out on the table and the floor.  I decided I would smooth them out and sort them into chunks, skinny strips of any length and larger strips...over 2" wide. 

I was sorting away when I bumped the sewing table and a brand new can of starch spiraled to the floor busting the little white spray thing clear off.  #$%&(*%.  Right, that was irritating.  I continued to sort from a shoe box stuffed full of scraps.   I bumped the table again and my iron fell to the floor and yes it was still hot and it landed where it could make an interesting change to the floor.  I jumped up, leaned over the sewing machine table and grabbed that baby up.  Floor looks ok, but I did not look too close.  I heard the door down stairs bust open and Bill was heading up the stairs.  I hollered down to him...I'm OK.  He ask me what I was doing and I gave the obvious answer...nothin'. 

I continued for about 38 seconds longer and had another small mishap.  I don't know how I knocked the entire box of scraps to the floor and it hit the sewing machine case first just to ensure those little pieces of confetti fabric spread all over the floor.  I am not stupid and I finally took the hint from my body, picked up the scraps, turned the sewing machine off and came down and put my feet up in the recliner.  Funny how long it takes us sometimes to get the message.  It was after 10 o'clock anyway so it was time to stop and relax.  Here is a picture of the 2 big crazy blocks. 


I have noticed something odd about the blocks.  There is hardly any red in the blocks.  I love red and I must be afraid to make something red or all the red scraps are at home.  Anyway, I might have to use red strips around each block.  I am thinking I will put 4 big blocks together and then add stitching and lots of shiny treasures I have been saving.

I am heading to Waynesville tomorrow afternoon with my friend Sharon.  The quilt store over there has moved and we decided to check out the new location.  Tomorrow morning, I have to get up those stairs and get all that sewing stuff put up because the Jason and his family will be here and they will all sleep in the loft. 

The room looks like a torndo blew thru.  I have the magical ability to sew in an area for 15 minutes and it looks like dynamite went off in the room.  I have pulled everything out have put nothing back that I have used.  BAD GIRL and I know it.  I will be playing tomorrow morning, but it won't be the kind of playing I usually do.  I will be playing vaccuum and dust all those dust bunnies from the fabric fuzz and get that room cleaned up.  Until we meet again....

No comments:

Post a Comment